In news– Union Minister of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj launched the Climate Resilience Information System and Planning (CRISP-M) for MGNREGA recently.
About Climate Resilience Information System and Planning (CRISP-M)
- CRISP-M is a tool for integration of climate information in Geographic Information System (GIS) based watershed planning under Mahatma Gandhi NREGA.
- The tool will help embed climate information in the GIS-based planning and implementation of MGNREGA.
- The British Government and other stakeholders supported the Rural Development Ministry in developing the tool.
- This tool will be used in seven states where the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), Government of UK and Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India are jointly working towards climate resilience.
- The states are Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Rajasthan.
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)-
- The mandate of the MGNREGA is to provide at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year to every rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
- MGNREGA was passed by the Indian Parliament in 2005.
- MGNREGA scheme was launched in February 2006.
The core objectives of the MGNREGA are:
- Providing not less than one hundred days of unskilled manual work as a guaranteed employment in a financial year to every household in rural areas as per demand, resulting in creation of productive assets of prescribed quality and durability;
- Strengthening the livelihood resource base of the poor;
- Proactively ensuring social inclusion and
- Strengthening Panchayati Raj Institutions.