National Crime Record Bureau’s “Crime in India” Report 2019. rimes against women increased 7.3% from 2018 to 2019, and crimes against Scheduled Castes also went up 7.3% in the same period, according to the annual
Highlights of the Report
- In terms of absolute numbers, Uttar Pradesh reported the highest number of cases in both these categories (against women and SCs)
- UP was followed by Rajasthan (41,550 cases; 10.2%) and Maharashtra (37,144 cases; 9.2%) for crimes against women in absolute numbers.
- Assam reported the highest rate of crimes against women (per lakh population), while Rajasthan had the highest rate of crimes against Scheduled Castes.
- Majority of cases under crime against women under IPC were registered under
. cruelty by husband or his relatives (30.9%)
. assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty (21.8%)
. kidnapping & abduction of women (17.9%)
. rape (7.9%)
- Rajasthan reported the highest number of rapes with 5,997 cases, followed by UP (3,065) and Madhya Pradesh (2,485).
- In terms of rate of rape cases, Rajasthan was the highest at 15.9 (per lakh population), followed by Kerala (11.1) and Haryana (10.9).
- UP also had the highest number of crimes against girl children under the POCSO Act with 7,444 cases, followed by Maharashtra (6,402) and MP (6,053).
- The highest rate of these crimes were in Sikkim (27.1 per lakh population), MP (15.1), and Haryana (14.6).
- UP had the highest number of dowry cases (2,410), at a rate of 2.2 (per lakh population), followed by Bihar (1,120).
- According to the report, 150 acid attacks were reported in 2019, of which 42 took place in UP and 36 in West Bengal.
- Crime head-wise cases revealed that simple hurt with 28.9% (13,273 cases) formed the largest chunk of cases of crimes/ atrocities against Scheduled Castes during 2019.
- It was followed by cases under SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act with 9.0% (4,129 cases), and cases under rape with 7.6% (3,486 cases).
- UP was followed by Rajasthan (6,794 cases; 14.8%) and Bihar (6,544; 14.2%) for crimes against SC/ ST in absolute numbers.
- The rate of rape against Dalit women was highest in Kerala at 4.6 (per lakh population), followed by MP (4.5) and Rajasthan (4.5).