In News: India ranks 86 of 98 countries in Covid response index, New Zealand, Vietnam, Taiwan in top 3.
About the Index
- The index seeks “to gauge the relative performance of countries”.
- The index is based on six different indicators, including confirmed cases and deaths per million people and the scale of testing.
- Publicly available and comparable data on Covid-19 response was used for this index.
- Six Indicators: Confirmed cases, confirmed deaths, cases per million people, deaths per million people, cases as a proportion of tests, and tests per thousand people.
- Fewer reported cases and deaths, both in aggregate and per capita terms, point towards a better response to the virus.
- More tests conducted on a per capita basis reveal an accurate picture of the extent of the pandemic at the national level.
- Lower rates of positive tests indicate greater degrees of control over the transmission of Covid-19.
Performance of countries
- New Zealand, Vietnam and Taiwan have been ranked the top three spots, respectively.
- India has ranked 86th.
- Sri Lanka was the best faring nation in South Asia, ranking 10.
- Maldives was at 25, Pakistan at 69, Nepal at 70, and Bangladesh at 84.
- The lowest score was given to Brazil.
- Mexico, Colombia, Iran and the United States too featured among the bottom five countries in terms of performance.