Bharat Biotech begins COVAXIN Phase III trials
- COVAXIN’s phase III trials will involve 26,000 volunteers across India and will be conducted in partnership with ICMR.
- It is the largest clinical trial conducted for a Covid-19 vaccine in India. And it is also India’s first phase III efficacy study for a Covid-19 vaccine
How the Phase III trial is being conducted?
- Under the phase III trial, volunteers will receive two intramuscular injections approximately 28 days apart.
- Participants will be randomly assigned to receive COVAXIN or placebo.
- This trial is double-blinded — the investigators, participants and the company will not be aware of who is assigned to which group.
- Note: Volunteers who wish to participate in this trial should be over 18 years of age.
About Bharat Biotech
- It is an Indian biotechnology company
- It was founded by DR. Krishna M. Ella in 1996
- It is headquartered in Hyderabad, India
- Company is engaged in the drug discovery, drug development, manufacture of vaccines, bio-therapeutics, pharmaceuticals and healthcare products