Recently, the cabinet approved the Continuation of National Ayush Mission as a centrally sponsored scheme.
- Period of extension: 01-04-2021 to 31-03-2026.
- Financial implication: Rs. 4607.30 crore (Rs 3,000 crore as Central Share and Rs. 1607.30 crore as State Share).
- The operationalization of the 12,500 AYUSH Health and Wellness Centres component under AYUSHMAN BHARAT for implementation through National AYUSH Mission will also be continued.
- In addition, new Ayush Public Health programs will also be part of the National AYUSH Mission.
About National Ayush Mission(NAM)
- NAM is being implemented with the Objective to provide cost effective AYUSH Services, by upgrading AYUSH Hospitals, Dispensaries and Ayush educational institutions, co-location of AYUSH systems at Public Health facilities, and setting up of new up to 50 bedded integrated AYUSH Hospital and teaching institutions.
- The National Ayush Mission was launched on 15-09-2014.
- Under NAM special focus is given for specific needs of such areas and for allocation of higher resources in their Annual Plans.
- The Mission is addressing the gaps in health services through supporting the efforts of State/UT Governments for providing AYUSH health services/education in the country, particularly in vulnerable and far-flung areas.
- To provide cost effective AYUSH Services, with universal access through upgrading AYUSH Hospitals and Dispensaries, co-location of AYUSH facilities at Primary Health Centres (PHCs), Community Health Centres (CHCs) and District Hospitals (DHs).
- To establish a holistic wellness model based on AYUSH principles and practices to empower masses for ‘self-care’ to reduce the disease burden, out of pocket expenditure and to provide informed choice to the needy public.
- To strengthen institutional capacity at the state level through upgrading AYUSH educational institutions, State Govt. ASU&H Pharmacies, Drug Testing Laboratories and ASU & H enforcement mechanism.
- Support cultivation of medicinal plants by adopting Good Agricultural Practices so as to provide sustained supply of quality raw-materials and support certification mechanism for quality standards, Good Agricultural/Collection/Storage Practices.
- Support setting up of clusters through convergence of cultivation, warehousing, value addition and marketing and development of infrastructure for entrepreneurs.