In news- Constitution Day was observed on 26th November 2021.
About Constitution Day-
- This day is observed to mark the significance of the constitutional values amongst the citizens of India.
- As notified by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, the observation of Constitution Day started in 2015.
- It was announced as a part of the celebration on the 125th birth anniversary of Dr BR Ambedkar.
- On 26th November 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, which came into effect from 26th January 1950.
- The constitution of India was made by the constituent assembly of India which was under the cabinet mission plan of 1946.
- The first meeting for this proposal was held on December 09, 1946, and Dr Sachidanand Sinha was elected as the Provisional President of the assembly.
- And on December 11,1946, Dr Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India and was also the permanent chairman of the assembly.
- A 13 member committee along with a drafting committee was constituted to frame the constitution under the chairmanship of Dr, BR Ambedkar.
- Later, based on the committee reports, a draft was prepared by the seven-member drafting committee.
- Our constitution is the longest written constitution in the world, originally having 395 articles, 22 parts and 8 schedules in it.
- Now it has 448 articles in 25 parts and 12 schedules.
- Our constitution was not printed but handwritten and calligraphic both in Hindi and English.
- It was completely handcrafted by the artists of Shantiniketan with the guidance of Acharya Nandalal Bose and the calligraphy texts made by Prem Behari Narain Raizada in Delhi.