The annual All India Conference of the Central Administrative Tribunal was held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 16th February 2020.
- The Conference was presided over by Hon’ble Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Minister for Law and Justice.
- The one day conference was attended by Judicial and Administrative Members from all 17 Benches of CAT from across the country, members of the CAT BAR Association, and eminent Jurists
About Central Administrative Tribunal
- CAT has been established for adjudication of disputes with respect to recruitment and conditions of service of persons appointed to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or other local authorities within the territory of India or under the control of Government of India and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. This was done in pursuance of the amendment of the Constitution of India by Articles 323A.
- 323A mentions that the Parliament may, by law, provide for the adjudication or trial by administrative tribunals of disputes and complaints with respect to recruitment and conditions of service of persons appointed to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or of any State or of any local or other authority within the territory of India or under the control of the Government of India or of any corporation owned or controlled by the Government.
- In addition to Central Government employees, the Government of India has notified 45 other organizations to bring them within the jurisdiction of the Central Administrative Tribunal.
- The provisions of the Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985 do not, however, apply to members of paramilitary forces, armed forces of the Union, officers or employees of the Supreme Court, or to persons appointed to the Secretariat Staff of either House of Parliament or the Secretariat staff of State/Union Territory Legislatures.
Jurisdiction of Benches of Central Administrative Tribunal
|Sl No.||Bench||Jurisdiction of the Bench|
|1.||Principal Bench(New Delhi)||National Capital Territory of Delhi|
|2.||Ahmedabad Bench||State of Gujarat|
|4.||Lucknow Bench||Districts of Lucknow, Hardoi, Kheri, Rai Bareli, Sitapur, Unnao, Faizabad, Ambedkar Nagar, Baharaich, Shravasti, Barabanki, Gonda, Balrampur, Pratapgarh, Sultanpur in the state of Uttar Pradesh.|
|5.||Bangalore Bench||State of Karnataka|
|8.||Cuttack Bench||State of Odissa|
|11.||Hyderabad Bench||State of Andhra Pradesh|
|13.||Jodhpur Bench||State of Rajasthan excluding the Districts mentioned against Number 14 under the jurisdiction of Jaipur Bench|
|14.||Jaipur Bench||District of Ajmer, Alwar, Baran, Bharatpur, Bundi, Dausa, Dholpur, Jaipur, Jhalawar, Jhunjhunu, Kota, Sawai Madhopur, Sikar, Tonk and Karauli in the state of Rajasthan|