- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY)
- CSC initiative is a two-in-one solution that will help to revamp the front-end delivery systems of the public services and at the same time will encourage rural entrepreneurship in order to create jobs.
- The CSC started as part of the National E-governance plans (NeGP)in the year 2006. At present, it is one of the 31 Mission Mode Projects under “Digital India”.
- ‘Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs)’ run these Common Service Centers.
- Under the Digital India programme, at least one CSC (preferably more than one) is envisaged in 2.5 lakh Gram Panchayats for delivery of various electronic services to citizens across rural India.
How will they provide service?
- They provide services to the citizens through the infrastructure already created in the form of SWAN(State Wide Area Network), e-District, NOFN/BharatNet etc.
Services they offer:
- They provide web-enabled e-governance services in rural areas, including application forms, certificates, and utility payments such as electricity, telephone and water bills. In addition to the universe of G2C services, a wide variety of content and services that are offered are:
- Agriculture Services (Agriculture, Horticulture, Sericulture, Animal Husbandry, Fisheries, Veterinary)
- Education & Training Services (School, College, Vocational Education, Employment, etc.)
- Health Services (Telemedicine, Health Check-ups, Medicines)
- Rural Banking & Insurance Services (Micro-credit, Loans, Insurance)
- Entertainment Services (Movies, Television)
- Utility Services (Bill Payments, Online bookings)
- Commercial Services (DTP, Printing, Internet Browsing, Village level BPO)