Election Commission has constituted a committee to examine the issues concerning expenditure limit
The committee comprises the following members:
- Sh. Harish Kumar, Ex. IRS and DG (Investigation)
- Sh. Umesh Sinha, Secretary General and DG (Expenditure)
Increase in the expenditure limit
- Considering the factor of COVID-19, the Ministry of Law & Justice on 19th october 2020 has notified an amendment in Rule 90 of Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961 enhancing the existing expenditure limit by 10%.
- This increase of 10% will be applicable with immediate effect in ongoing elections.
The committee will have following terms of reference:
- To assess the change in number of electors across the States/Union Territories and its bearing on expenditure.
- To assess the change in Cost Inflation Index and its bearing on the pattern of expenditure incurred by the candidates in recent elections.
- To seek views/inputs of the political parties and other stakeholders.
- To examine other factors which may have bearings on expenditure.