Source: PRS, Monthly Policy Review
The GST Council constituted a Committee of Officers to suggest measures for increasing GST revenue
Areas of Consideration
The Council has suggested the following areas for consideration:
- Systemic changes including checks and balances
- Policy measures and relevant changes needed in laws
- Expansion of tax base
- Improvement in voluntary compliance
- Improvement in compliance monitoring and antievasion measures using better data analytics, and better administrative coordination
In addition, the Committee has been asked to consider a wide range of reforms and give comprehensive recommendations.
- The Committee includes five officers of the central government and five state GST commissioners from the states of Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal.
- Other states can also nominate officers to the Committee or send suggestions in writing.