Why in news?
- The Ministry of Health and Family welfare has ordered that Colistin and its formulations be prohibited for the production, sale and distribution of animals for food, poultry, aquaculture and supplements for animal feed.
- It is a critical antibiotic that is frequently known as last resort to save lives in Critical units.
- It is also known as polymyxin E against gram negative bacteria.
- It is used for poultry and several other veterinary uses in order to stimulate development.
- This ban represents a major step forward for taking antimicrobial resistance action because it could easily spread to living organisms.
- Drugs and cosmetics Act, 1940 has imposed the prohibition.