In news: The Prime Minister of India addressed the Climate Adaptation Summit 2021 recently
What is Climate Adaptation Summit 2021?
The Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS 2021) 2021, to be held on 25-26 January, is an online global conference to accelerate, innovate and scale up the world’s efforts in adapting our societies and economies to the inevitable effects of climate change over the coming decade.
CAS 2021 is a multi-stakeholder event, with participation by governments from all continents as well as business leaders, mayors, international organisations, academia, civil society, and youth representatives.
Why is CAS 2021 organized?
- CAS 2021 represents a unique moment in time to connect initiatives, solutions, and challenges to build back better and accelerate adaptation action.
- At UNCAS 2019, the Global Commission on Adaptation presented its flagship report ‘Adapt Now’ and announced additional action to accelerate climate adaptation along Action Tracks outlined in the report.
- CAS 2021 concludes a Year of Action launched by Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte in 2019.
- Building on the work of the Global Commission on Adaptation, led by Ban Ki‑moon, Bill Gates, and Kristalina Georgieva, the Dutch government aims to use this moment to deliver an Adaptation Action Agenda for a transformational decade towards 2030.
Themes & topics at CAS 2021
The Climate Adaptation Summit (CAS) 2021 will highlight adaptation action in 10 thematic areas during Anchoring Events that will address the theme-specific challenges presented by climate change.
- Accelerating African Adaptation
- Resilient Cities
- Nature-Based Solutions
- Disaster Risk Management
- Youth Leadership
- Locally Led Adaptation
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Finance & Investment
The Adaptation Action Agenda of CAS 2021
Climate disasters, disturbed weather patterns and generally higher temperatures and sea levels provide multifold challenges. Only by adapting our systems and societies can we safeguard our communities, planet anBy launching a comprehensive Adaptation Action Agenda, CAS 2021 will kickstart a transformational decade with the global cooperation and enhanced leadership needed for a climate-resilient future.d prosperity.
The Adaptation Action Agenda (AAA) is an instrument to accelerate action on climate adaptation by promoting, guiding, monitoring and sharing experience on climate resilience, and building together. It offers an integral framework in which individual actions and coalitions are brought together to reach the ambition of a climate-resilient future by 2030 (as stated in the SDGs).
Therefore, it is an instrument at the interface of adaptation efforts, ensuring cross-cutting resilience initiatives and progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
What the Adaptation Action Agenda will do?
The Adaptation Action Agenda will present a comprehensive and accessible overview of key actions taken to enhance resilience, and their envisioned outcomes.
It will bring together the Global Community of Adaptation Practitioners, allowing for tracking adaptation actions and brokering solutions.
How the Adaptation Action Agenda will work?
- To enable this function and usage, the Agenda will be continuously updated, with actors able sign up their actions throughout the coming transformational decade.
- The Agenda is inclusive in nature: parties from all regions, adaptation sectors and backgrounds can commit to it by signing up their adaptation initiative to the platform.
- The precondition for being accepted is having a clear and concrete initiative that will contribute to enhancing resilience, and being able to provide information on how the envisioned outcomes will be achieved.
Announcement made by Prime Minister of India at CAS 2021
Following are the important announcements made by th PM:
- India is targeting 450 gigawatt of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
- India is promoting LED lights and saving 38 million tons of carbon-di-oxide emissions annually.
- India is going to restore 26 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
- It is providing clean cooking fuel to 80 million rural households
- It is connecting 64 million households to piped water supply.