Why is it in the news?
- Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI), 2020 has been released at UNFCC CoP25 in Madrid, Spain.
- The index is developed by Germanwatch, New Climate Institute and Climate Action Network (CAN)
- The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1100 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
- CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
- CAN members place a high priority on both a healthy environment and development that “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (Brundtland Commission).
- CAN’s vision is to protect the atmosphere while allowing for sustainable and equitable development worldwide.