A High powered committee which was set up by the Union government for the implementation of clause 6 of the Assam Accord of 1985 submitted its report to the Chief Minister of Assam
What is the Assam Accord?
- The Assam Accord was a Memorandum of Settlement (MoS) signed between representatives of the Government of India and the leaders of the Assam Movement in 1985
What is clause 6 of the Accord?
- The clause envisages constitutional, legislative and administrative measures to safeguard, protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
- It also seeks to ascertain who fits into the definition of an Assamese.
A number of actions have been taken under this clause so far which include the following:
- The Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra Society was established under clause 6 of the historic Assam Accord and committed to working for preservation, promotion and upliftment of culture of the people of Assam
- Jyoti Chitraban Film Studio Scheme
- Archaeological Survey of India has taken up the protection, preservation and development of 5 monuments in the state
- An Autonomous Institution namely Anandaram Borooah Institute of Language Art & Culture Assam (ABILAC) was established on 12th December 1989 with the Financial Assistance from Govt. of Assam. The Institute is pursuing Research for the development of Indigenous Language