In news- Recently, Government e Marketplace (GeM) portal was announced as the winner in the “Best Use of Digital Technology” category at the CIPS Excellence in Procurement Awards 2021 (CIPS Awards).
- GeM emerged the winner in this category after competing with some of the biggest and best names in procurement across the public and private sector globally.
- GeM was shortlisted as a finalist in two additional categories as well, i.e., ‘Public Procurement Project of the Year’ and ‘Best Initiative to Build a Diverse Supply Base’ where it was in the august company of some path-breaking organizations with great initiatives.
About CIPS award
- The CIPS Awards are one of the leading recognitions around procurement globally, which is conducted under the aegis of The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), London.
- CIPS is a global not-for-profit organisation and professional body dedicated to promoting good practices in procurement and supply management, with a community across 150 countries.
- The CIPS is a United Kingdom-based global professional body working for the purchasing and supply professions.
- With an objective of “leading excellence in procurement and supply”, it aims to promote good practice and provide services for the benefit of a procurement community.
- CIPS aims to promote and develop high standards of professional skill, ability, and integrity among all those engaged in purchasing and supply chain management.
- Through procurement and supply best practice, CIPS seek to make a difference and improve the quality of lives.
Government e Marketplace (GeM)
- GeM is a 100% Government owned Section 8 Company setup under the aegis of Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry for procurement of goods and services by Central and State Government organizations.
- The Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry with technical support of the National eGovernance Division (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology) has developed the GeM portal for procurement of both Products & Services.
- The portal was launched on 9th August 2016 by the Commerce & Industry Minister. Procurement on GeM has been authorized by General Financial Rules by making necessary changes in government rules.
- GeM has brought its technology-driven innovations and strategic business processes in pursuit of three fundamental goals: driving transparency, efficiency and inclusiveness in public procurement.
- The design and development of the GeM platform- its digital features and functionalities, key business processes as well as the ancillary offline activities like outreach and training of stakeholders-is guided by these three goals.
- The use of forward-looking technologies has helped GeM to broadly achieve these goals and more, over the past five years.
- GeM offers a cashless, contactless, and paperless experience for sellers and buyers, and serves as an end-to-end solution for procurement of common use goods and services by Government buyers.
- GeM has completely replaced a previously fragmented public procurement ecosystem by a unified and easy-to-use e-marketplace helping to leverage competitiveness, accessibility, and economies of scale of a diverse, open and transparent procurement system.
- All Central government and State Government Ministries/Departments including its attached/subordinate offices, Central and State autonomous bodies, Central and State Public Sector Units and local bodies etc. are authorized to make procurement through Gem portal.