As per the data compiled by CHILDLINE India Foundation (CIF), of every 10 calls made to the emergency helpline 1098 to report abuse against children, one was from a survivor desperately seeking help
What is it?
- CHILDLINE India Foundation (CIF)(an NGO) is the nodal agency of the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development acting as the parent organization for setting up, managing and monitoring the CHILDLINE 1098 service all over the country.
- CIF is the sole agency/body responsible for establishing the CHILDLINE service across the country, monitoring of service delivery and finance, training, research and documentation, creating awareness, advocacy as well as resource generation for the service.
- It works for the protection of rights of all children aged from 0 to 18.
- CHILDLINE 1098 was India’s first 24-hour, toll-free, phone outreach service for children
- Its vision: A child-friendly nation that guarantees the rights and protection of all children
History of CHILDLINE
- CHILDLINE first started as a field action project of the Department of Family and Child Welfare, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai, in June 1996.
- It was founded by Ms. Jeroo Billimoria, then a professor at TISS.