About Chief Economic Advisor (CEA)-
- CEA is a post in the Government of India and is equivalent to the rank of Secretary to the Government of India.
- The CEA is the ex-officio cadre controlling authority of the Indian Economic Service.
- The CEA is head of the Economic Division of the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
- Until 2009, the CEA’s position was a Union Public Service Commission appointment and until the 1970s almost all CEAs were members of the Indian Economic Service.
- The extent to which the Government takes into account the advice of the Chief Economic Adviser has generally been considered to be open-ended.
About Venkatraman Anantha Nageswaran-
- He is a distinguished economist involved primarily in the field of academia.
- He graduated with a post-graduate diploma in Management (MBA) from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad in 1985.
- He later obtained a doctoral degree from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1994 for his work on the empirical behavior of exchange rates.
- He also worked as a part-time member of the Prime Minister’s economic advisory council between 2019 and 2021.
- He has also co-authored multiple books, including ‘The Economics of Derivatives’ and ‘The Rise of Finance: Causes, Consequences and Cures’.