About the C-DoT
- C-DoT is an is an Indian Government owned telecommunications technology development centre
- Establishment: Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) was established in August 1984 as an autonomous Telecom R&D centre of DoT, Govt. of India.
- Its goal was to develop telecommunication technology to meet the needs of the Indian telecommunication network.
- It is a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- Ministry: It is a registered ‘public funded research institution’ with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India
- Sam Pitroda started the C-DOT as an autonomous telecom R&D organisation
Areas of work
- In the initial years, C-DOT triggered a telecom revolution in rural India that was responsible for all-round socio-economic development.
- As part of its development process, C-DOT has spawned a wide base of equipment manufacturers and component vendors for the industry.
- Moreover, it has been instrumental in the evolution of a Telecom Manufacturing Ecosystem based on its Technology Transfer model to facilitate manufacturers in the bulk production of high-quality Telecom products and solutions.
- C-DOT, over the years, has evolved into a full-fledged telecom R&D institution, that complies with level-5 maturity on CMMI Model(Capability Maturity Model Integration), and has capabilities to undertake large-scale state-of-the-art telecom technologies development programs.
- C-DOT as a torch bearer of indigenous telecom R&D continues to develop latest technology products in areas like Optical, Switching, Wireless, Security and Network Management while also working on futuristic technologies like M2M/IOT, 5G, AI, etc.
- C-DOT reiterates its unequivocal commitment to the betterment of the country’s telecom sector by working towards realizing the objectives of various flagship programs of the Government of India that include Digital India, Make in India, BharatNet, Skill India, Startup India and Smart Cities.
Major achievements of C-DoT
Launch of Gyan Setu and MAXNG Technologies
- ‘GyanSetu’ is an internet based real-me ICT system designed by C-DOT, primarily to provide various e-services to the underprivileged rural population of India.
- MAX-NG, C-DOT’s Next Generation Network (NGN) solution addresses the needs of the changing telecom scenario and enables a smooth transition from Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) to NGN based Voice Over-IP (VoIP).
Launch of Broadband Products
- During Digital India Week, C-DOT launched four products and inaugurated The IP Multimedia Subsystem compliant NGN(next-generation network) Services in MTNL network.
Inauguration of Terabit Router & FTTD Solution
C-DOT has designed and developed India’s first indigenous Terabit Router. Hon’ble Minister of Communications & IT, inaugurated C-DOT Terabit Router along with GPON based Fiber-to-the-Desk solution (FTTD) during a function held at C-DOT Campus in 2014.