In News: Incident in which a CRPF commando opened the car door for Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut, Director-General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Kuldiep Singh said that opening the doors of the car out of courtesy by a CRPF commando is not in the mandate.
- The Central Reserve Police Force came into existence as Crown Representative’s Police on 27th July 1939.
- It became the Central Reserve Police Force on enactment of the CRPF Act on 28th December 1949.
- Under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Mission: The mission of the Central Reserve Police Force shall be to enable the government to maintain Rule of Law, Public Order and Internal Security effectively and efficiently, to Preserve National Integrity and Promote Social Harmony and Development by upholding supremacy of the Constitution.
Broad gamut of duties performed by the CRPF are
- Crowd control
- Riot control
- Counter Militancy / Insurgency operations.
- Dealing with Left Wing Extremism
- Overall coordination of large scale security arrangement especially with regard to elections in disturbed areas.
- Protection of VIPs and vital installations.
- Checking environmental degradation and protection of local Flora and Fauna
- Fighting aggression during War time
- Participating in UN Peacekeeping Mission
- Rescue and Relief operations at the time of Natural Calamities.
Other Central Armed Police Forces
- National Security Guard (NSG): The National Security Guard (NSG) is a counter terrorism unit which was raised in 1984, following Operation Blue Star.
- Assam Rifles (AR): The Assam Rifles came into being in 1835, as a militia called the ‘Cachar Levy’.
- Border Security Force (BSF): Responsible for guarding India’s land borders with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB): Earlier Special Service Bureau was raised in 1960s with the sole objective of achieving ‘Total security preparedness’ in the remote border areas for performing a ‘stay-behind’ role in the event of a war.
- Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP): ITBP is a specialized mountain force and most of the officers and men are professionally trained mountaineers and skiers.
Central Industrial Security Force (CISF): Provides security cover to nuclear installations, space establishments, airports, seaports, power plants, sensitive Government buildings and ever heritage monuments.