CPCB issued the directions for strict action against air polluting activities in Delhi
About the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB)
- The CPCB is a statutory organisation
- It was constituted in September 1974 under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974.
- Further, CPCB was entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
- It serves as a field formation and also provides technical services to the Ministry of Environment and Forests of the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- Principal Functions of the CPCB, as spelt out in the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974, and the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 are:
- to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States by prevention, control and abatement of water pollution, and
- to improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country.
Other functions of CPCB at National level
- Advise the Central Government on any matter concerning prevention and control of water and air pollution and improvement of the quality of air.
- Plan and cause to be executed a nation-wide program for the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution
- Coordinate the activities of the State Board and resolve disputes among them
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to the State Boards, carry out and sponsor investigation and research relating to problems of water and air pollution, and for their prevention, control or abatement
- Plan and organise training of persons engaged in programme on the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution
- Organise through mass media, a comprehensive mass awareness programme on the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution
- Collect, compile and publish technical and statistical data relating to water and air pollution and the measures devised for their effective prevention, control or abatement
- Prepare manuals, codes and guidelines relating to treatment and disposal of sewage and trade effluents as well as for stack gas cleaning devices, stacks and ducts
- Disseminate information in respect of matters relating to water and air pollution and their prevention and control
- Lay down, modify or annul, in consultation with the State Governments concerned, the standards for stream or well, and lay down standards for the quality of air