Recently, the Union Home Minister inaugurated the newly built Center of Excellence for Research & Analysis of Narcotics and Psychotropic Substances of the National Forensic Science University in Ahmedabad.
- There are many challenges before India in the 21st century and to successfully deal with them, we have to strengthen the Criminal Justice system. Forensic science is an important part of this.
- In view of the changing face of crime due to 130 crore population and market, borders with difficult geographical locations and neighboring countries, it is very necessary to strengthen forensic science and the criminal justice system.
- The whole country is worried about the ill effects of drugs on our society, security and economy.
- Narco Terror is another threat to India, the money it generates is used for terrorism. It is also very important to stop this.
About the Centre of Excellence(CoE)
- Gujarat Forensic Sciences University has been conferred with Centre of excellence for Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances(NDPS) by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- It is a government organization established with a mission to diminish the drug abuse cases and the total convictions in narcotic cases and to combat drug trafficking.
- It is mandated to assist several central and state agencies to react to the instability and insecurity caused by crimes like the smuggling of illicit drugs.
- Through research and development CoE will assist the other government agencies to bridge the gap between different forensic science laboratories by developing the database of narcotic and psychotropic substances under one roof.
- The latest technologies would be developed to identify designer drugs, precursor chemicals and other impurities in the illicit drugs seized by the law enforcement agencies.
- Through the educational campaign like seminar, conferences, workshop, CoE will educate various law agencies, scientific fraternities and other stake holders to identify current upcoming trends in drug trafficking, drug abuse cases and new challenges in their analysis leading to rapid court convictions of NDPS.
- A system equivalent to the world’s best laboratory has been created in this forensic university in Gujarat.
- This centre will help in research and analysis of drugs and narcotics seized in the different parts of the country and its routes.
Objectives of the Laboratory
- To conduct research in different zones of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances to facilitate the law enforcement agencies in quick conviction of the narcotic cases.
- To acquaint and create expertise in the scientific fraternity in the advanced areas of instrumental analysis of NDPS and designer drugs.
- To create state of art centralised facilities in interdisciplinary areas of NDPS drugs analysis.
- To create a database of NDPS drugs to establish a network between Forensic Science Laboratories and other laboratories engaged in Narcotic Drugs analysis.
- To create a facility for quality management systems and proficiency testing programs related to NDPS drugs.
Cyber Defence Center and Ballistic Research Center in National Forensic Science University- Ahmedabad
- The Cyber Defence Center and Ballistic Research Center set up in this Center are unique in the whole of Asia and the nation is on course to be self-reliant in this field.
- Several new dimensions have been established in the Ballistic Research Center for the testing of bullet proof materials.
The National Forensic Sciences University
- The National Forensic Sciences University with the status of an Institution of National Importance is the world’s first and only University dedicated to Forensic, behavioral, cybersecurity, digital forensics, and allied Sciences.
- It was established by the Government of India through Act, 2020 with the objective of fulfilling the acute shortage against the increasing demand for forensic experts in the country and around the world.
- Gandhinagar Campus is the first campus of National Forensic Sciences University at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- 7 States of the country have expressed their desire to open Colleges and Centers of Excellence affiliated to the National Forensic Science University, Gujarat.
Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substance
- Narcotic, drug that produces analgesia (pain relief), narcosis (state of stupor or sleep), and addiction (physical dependence on the drug). In some people narcotics also produce euphoria (a feeling of great elation).
- A drug or other substance that affects how the brain works and causes changes in mood, awareness, thoughts, feelings, or behavior.
Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines.