Why in news?
In a recent study published in Threatened Taxa (TTT), 86% of the dogs had the Canine distemper virus in their bloodstream. These dogs were from the Ranthambhore National Park in Rajasthan.
What’s the condition?
- Canine Distemper Virus is a viral disease which infects, especially carnivores in animals’ gastrointestinal, airborne and central nervous systems.
- The CDV can be transmitted by direct (licking, breathing air, etc.) and/or indirect (bedding, toys, food bowls etc.) touch.
- Its continuity is demonstrated by its predominant inhalation.
- No cure is available and by immunization, it may be prevented.
- It was also seen in the Gir National Park, which led to the death of several Lions.