- As of now, the CAFE-2 norms that aim to make cars more fuel efficient are set to come into effect in 2022 and BS-VI stage II norms are set to come into force beginning April 2023.
About CAFE-2 Regulations
- CAFE-2 regulations are in force in many advanced as well as developing nations, including India.
- Aim at lowering fuel consumption (or improving fuel efficiency) of vehicles by lowering Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, thus serving the twin purposes of reducing dependence on oil for fuel and controlling pollution.
- The idea of CAFÉ is to push manufacturers to achieve fuel efficiency targets by producing and selling more fuel-efficient models, including electric vehicles.
- Corporate Average refers to sales-volume weighted average for every auto manufacturer.
- CAFE regulations in India came into force from April 1, 2017. Under this, average corporate CO2 emission must be less than 130 gm per km till 2022 and below 113 gm per km thereafter.
- The norms are applicable for petrol, diesel, LPG and CNG passenger vehicles.
Source: Indian Express