In news– Recently, drug firm BDR Pharmaceuticals has launched generic Cabozantinib cancer drug.
About the Cabozantinib cancer drug-
- Cabozantinib is used for treating patients with progressive, metastatic medullary thyroid cancer and as a second-line treatment for renal cell carcinoma apart from treating hepatocellular carcinoma.
- The drug is available in the strengths of 20 mg, 40 mg and 60 mg.
- The drug works by blocking (inhibiting) the signals inside cancer cells that make them grow and divide.
- In several trials like Celestial (double-blind phase III trial), Phase III Meteor trials, CABOZANIB has shown better PFS (Progression-Free Survival).
- As DCGI approved BDR Pharma’s Cabozantinib to be put into medicinal use, the company claimed that it will soon make it available in the market for treatment.
What is metastatic medullary thyroid cancer?
- It is a neuroendocrine tumor that is derived from C cells of the thyroid gland.
- It is a rare aggressive tumor, known to metastasize to lymph nodes, liver, bones, and lungs.
What is renal cell carcinoma?
- Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is also called hypernephroma, renal adenocarcinoma, or renal or kidney cancer.
- It’s the most common kind of kidney cancer found in adults.
- Smoking and misuse of certain pain medicines can affect the risk of renal cell cancer.
What is hepatocellular carcinoma?
- It is the most common type of primary liver cancer.
- It occurs most often in people with chronic liver diseases, such as cirrhosis caused by hepatitis B or hepatitis C infection.
About BDR group-
- BDR group is recognized as a “niche” player in manufacturing of Pharmaceutical APIs and renowned new age formulations.
- The group is complemented majorly by its two companies – BDR Pharmaceuticals International Pvt Ltd and BDR Life sciences Pvt. Ltd, each one having stamped its own supremacy in respective fields, i.e. API and formulation manufacturing, respectively.