Transaction of Business Rules, 1961. he executive works under the Government of India These Rules emerge out of Article 77(3) of the Constitution, which states: “The President shall make rules for the more convenient transaction of the business of the Government of India, and for the allocation among Ministers of the said business.”
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
- The Prime Minister constitutes Standing Committees of the Cabinet and sets out the specific functions assigned to them. He can add or reduce the number of committees.
- The CCEA is not a constitutional body. It does not find its genesis from the Constitution for there is no mention about it, there. Thus, CCEA is considered as extra-constitutional in nature.
- The composition of the committee varies from time to time. As per TBR 1961, it can constitute members ranging from 3 to 8.
- The strength of the members entirely relies on the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- In usual business, the members are from the Cabinet who constitute the committee. They add members from different ministries as well as non-cabinet members as ‘special invitees’.
- The members in CCEA work on all the matters that come under the ambit of the economic field. The mandate to formulate, analyse and review the activities concerned with economic policies stretches out in an expansive way.
- The work ranges from as grass-rooted as rural level to foreign investments that require policy making at the highest level.
- It keeps a check on prices of agricultural products. The activities related to small and marginal farmers that may give an impetus to the rural development, are looked upon by the said committee, too.
- The domain concerned with industrial growth is within the competence of CCEA. In addition to that, industrial licensing including licensing for establishment of Joint Sector Undertakings are also within the purview of CCEA.
- It also evaluates the performance of Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) that may include their structural and functional restructuring. If a PSU underperforms, the task of disinvestment including strategic sale and pricing of PSU, are taken up as well.