In news– Recently, the Union Cabinet approved procurement of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force.
About C-295MW transport aircraft
- These Aircrafts will be procured from M/s Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain for the Indian Air Force.
- C-295MW aircraft is a transport aircraft of 5-10 Tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of IAF.
- The aircraft has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para dropping of troops and cargo.
- Sixteen aircraft will be delivered in flyaway condition from Spain within 48 months of signing of the contract and forty aircraft will be manufactured in India by TATA Consortium within ten years of signing of the contract.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- All fifty six aircraft will be installed with indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite.
- The project will give a boost to the aerospace ecosystem in India wherein several MSMEs spread over the country will be involved in manufacturing of parts of the aircraft.
- The programme will act as a catalyst in employment generation in the aerospace ecosystem of the country.
- It will involve development of specialized infrastructure in the form of hangars, buildings, aprons and taxiways.
- During the process of manufacturing in India, it is expected that all the suppliers of TATA Consortium who will be involved in special processes will gain and maintain globally recognized National Aerospace and Defence Contractors Accreditation Program (NADCAP) accreditation.
National Aerospace and Defence Contractors Accreditation Program (NADCAP)
- It is a global cooperative accreditation program for aerospace engineering, defense and related industries.
- The Nadcap program is administered by the Performance Review Institute (PRI).
- NADCAP was established in 1990 by SAE International.