In news: After successful implementation of high tech BOLD-QIT on patches of Indo Bangladesh border in Assam, Indian Border Security Force(BSF) is going strong in extending it to the sensitive Bangla border along Northern West Bengal.
What is BOLD-QIT?
- BOLD-QIT is the project to install technical systems under the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS), which enables BSF to equip Indo-Bangla borders with different kind of sensors in unfenced riverine area of Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
- In January 2018, the information and technology wing of the BSF undertook project BOLD-QIT and completed it in record time with the technical support of various manufacturers and suppliers
- It has been implemented along the 61-km India-Bangladesh border in Dhubri district of Assam to tackle cross-border crimes and it provides respite to BSF personnel from round-the-clock patrolling.
- Union Home Ministry first introduced Smart Fencing on Indo- Bangladesh border in 2019 under Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS).
- The BOLD-QIT covers the proposed area with data network generated by microwave communication, OFC cables, day and night surveillance cameras and intrusion-detection system
- These modern gadgets provide feeds to the BSF control rooms along the border and enable the paramilitary force’s quick reaction teams to thwart any possibility of illegal border crossing and crimes.
- It helps to equip the unfenced areas along the riverine border with sensors, enabling the troops to take prompt action against intrusion.
- This high tech system developed in Israel developed is known as Smart Fence and can address this challenge in very effective way
Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS)
CIBMS involves deployment of a range of state-of-the-art surveillance technologies — thermal imagers, infra-red and laser-based intruder alarms, aerostats for aerial surveillance, unattended ground sensors that can help detect intrusion bids, radars, sonar systems to secure riverine borders, fibre-optic sensors and a command and control system that shall receive data from all surveillance devices in real time.
Three components under CIBMS
CIBMS is a strong system with three main components.
- The first is sophisticated devices including sensors, detectors, cameras, radar systems, micro-aerostats, lasers etc.
- The second is a dedicated wired and wireless communication system to be followed by a centralized command control system.
- The purpose of the CIBMS is to enhance faster surveillance, detection and interception capability of BSF.