In News: Partially relaxing the ban on Boeing 737 Max aircraft in India, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has now allowed international airlines to fly the plane over the country’s air space.
About Boeing 737 Max Aircraft
- The Boeing 737 MAX is an American narrow-body aircraft series designed and produced by Boeing Commercial Airplanes as the fourth generation of the Boeing 737, succeeding the Boeing 737 Next Generation (NG).
- The Boeing 737 MAX is the fourth generation of Boeing 737, a narrow-body airliner manufactured by Boeing Commercial Airplanes (BCA).
- It succeeds the Boeing 737 Next Generation (NG) and competes with the Airbus A320neo family.
- The 737 MAX is based on earlier 737 designs, with more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines, aerodynamic changes, including its distinctive split-tip winglets, and airframe modifications.
- The new series was publicly announced on August 30, 2011.
- It took its maiden flight on January 29, 2016 and was certified by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in March 2017.
- The first delivery was a MAX 8 in May 2017 to Malindo Air, with whom it commenced service on May 22, 2017.
- The 737 MAX series has been offered in four variants, offering 138 to 204 seats in typical two-class configuration and a 3,215 to 3,825 nmi (5,954 to 7,084 km) range.
- The 737 MAX 7, MAX 8 (including the denser, 200–seat MAX 200), and MAX 9 are intended to replace the 737-700, -800, and -900 respectively, and a further-stretched 737 MAX 10.