In news- Union Minister of State for Science & Technology recently released “Biotech-PRIDE (Promotion of Research and Innovation through Data Exchange)” Guidelines.
- It is developed by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology.
- The Biotech PRIDE Guidelines will enable exchange of this information to promote research and innovation in different research groups across the country.
- The guidelines aim at providing a well-defined framework and guiding principle to facilitate and enable sharing and exchange of biological knowledge, information and data and is specifically applicable to high-throughput, high-volume data generated by research groups across the country.
- These guidelines do not deal with generation of biological data per se but are an enabling mechanism to share and exchange information and knowledge generated as per the existing laws, rules, regulations and guidelines of the country.
- These guidelines will ensure data sharing benefits like maximizing use, avoiding duplication, maximized integration, ownership information, better decision-making and equity of access.
- Initially, these Guidelines will be implemented through Indian Biological Data Centre (IBDC) at the Regional Centre for Biotechnology supported by the DBT.
- Other existing datasets/ data centres will be bridged to this IBDC which will be called Bio-Grid.
The Bio-Grid will be a National Repository for biological knowledge, information and data.