Context : Cabinet approved Elevation of Bhaskaracharya Institute of Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG), Gujarat as Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG(N)) under Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MEITY), Government of India.
It will be an Autonomous Scientific Society under Government of India instead of the State Government.
- To maintain efficiency and innovation of services, the current skilled manpower working at BISAG may join the national level institute on as-is and where-is basis.
- To facilitate implementation of expanded scope of activities
- To facilitate implementation of expanded scope of activities and efficient rollout of GIS projects.
- To facilitate implementation of expanded scope of activities, aid research & development and technology development.
- Facilitate development planning and good governance through spatial decision support systems.
Activities of BISAG
- Satellite Communication: To promote and facilitate the use of Satellite broadcasting network for distant interactive training, education and extensions.
- Remote Sensing Applications: For inventory mapping, developmental planning and monitoring of natural and man-made resources.
- Geo-informatics System: To conceptualize, create and organize multi-purpose common digital database for sector and thematic applications for various user.
- Photogrammetry: For creation of Digital Elevation Model, Terrain characteristics, Resource planning etc.
- Global Navigation Satellite System and Land Survey: For Location based services, Geo-referencing, Engineering Applications and Research.
- Disaster Management: To Prepare geo-spatial information to provide necessary inputs to Government to assess and mitigate damage in the event of disaster.
- Software Development: To provide low-cost Decision Support System, Geo-informatics applications (desktop as well as web based) to user for wider usage.
- Technology Transfer: To transfer technology to a large number of end users.
- Value Added Services: To provide tools which can be customized as per the needs of the users.
- Education, Research and Training: To provide education, research and training facilities to promote a number of end users through Academy for Geo-informatics.