Prime Minister greets nation on Bhai Dooj
What is Bhai Dooj?
- Bhai Dooj is also known as Bhai Phota or Yama Dwitiya, is a part of the five-day festivities celebrated post-Diwali(on the second lunar day of Shukla Paksha (bright fortnight) in the Vikram Samvat Hindu calendar or of Shalivahan Shaka calendar month of Kartika.)
- It is also celebrated during Holi festival
- The Bhai Dooj celebrations are similar to the festival of Raksha Bandhan. On this day, sisters give gifts to their brothers. In the southern part of the country, the day is celebrated as Yama Dwitiya
The mythology behind the celebrations
- According to Hindu mythology, Yamraj, the God of Death, was being called by his sister the Yamuna. He, however, was not able to visit her.
- After frantic efforts, he met her and was welcomed with delectable dishes. The Yamuna even applied some tilak on his forehead.
- Witnessing the love and respect, he asked his sister if she wanted a boon. She asked for one day every year to be dedicated to Yamraj, for him to come visit her.
- It is said that this day forth, every year, Bhai Dooj is celebrated and brothers visit their sisters’ houses to offer or seek their blessings.
The whole ceremony signifies the duty of a brother to protect his sister, as well as a sister’s blessings for her brother