The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 2nd January, 2015 at Panipat, Haryana.
Ministry: Tri ministerial Joint Initiative of
- Ministry of Women and Child Development,
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Overall Goal: Celebrate the Girl Child & Enable her Education
- According to census data, the child sex ratio (0-6 years) in India was 927 girls per 1,000 boys in 2001, which dropped drastically to 918 girls for every 1,000 boys in 2011. This figure is further expected to reduce by 2021.
- BBBP was launched to addresses the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR)
- Focus on Issues of women empowerment over a life-cycle continuum.
- Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- Ensure survival & protection of the girl child
- Ensure education and participation of the girl child.
- Two components under the scheme include
- Advocacy and Media Campaign on Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao
- Multi-Sectoral intervention in selected Gender Critical Districts worse on CSR
- A sustained social mobilization and communication campaign to create equal value for the girl child & promote her education.
- Enable inter-sectoral and inter-institutional convergence at district/block/grassroot levels.
- It’s a Pan India Scheme, with 100% assistance from Central Government
- It has no provision for individual cash transfer. Grant in Aid is released by the MoW&CD, directly to the District Collector/District Magistrate of the selected district
- The scheme will be implemented through ICDS platform/Mahila Shakti Kendras/ DLCW at district, block and village level in convergence with Health, Education and Panchayati Raj Ministry.