Twenty-five years have passed since the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action was ratified at the Fourth World Conference on Women in the Fourth World Conference on Women: Action for Equality, Development and Peace was the name given for a conference convened by the United Nations during 4–15 September 1995 in Beijing, China.
What is Beijing +25?
- In 2020, it will be 25 years since the Beijing Platform for Action(1995) set strategic objectives and actions for the achievement of gender equality in 12 critical areas of concern.
Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action of 1995
- The Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action of 1995 is the most ambitious road map for the empowerment of women and girls everywhere
- The 1995 Beijing Platform for Action flagged 12 key areas where urgent action was needed to ensure greater equality and opportunities for women and men, girls and boys.
- It also laid out concrete ways for countries to bring about change
12 key areas are:
Commission on the Status of Women-64(CSW64)
- The main focus of the CSW meeting was to review the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly.
- But the review meeting was suspended due to COVID-19
- The review was intended to include an assessment of current challenges that affect the implementation of the Platform for Action and the full realisation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development