In News: Recently, The exercise of shifting India’s only 220 MW barge-mounted power plant located on the Kakinada coast has commenced.
About Barge Mounted Power Plant:
- The GMR Group owns a 220 MW gas based power plant in Andhra Pradesh’s Kakinada.
- The power plant was brought to the Kakinada coast in April 2010 from the Mangalore coast, where it was first commissioned in November 2001.
- Owned by GMR Energy Limited, the plant, developed by the U.S.-based GE Technology, was shut down in 2013 citing lack of availability of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) that was supposedly procured from the D-6 block in the Krishna-Godavari (KG) basin.
- Now it will be shipped to Turkey through the Kakinada deep-sea port.
- Kakinada Port is located at Kakinada off the east coast of India.
- It is 170 km (106 mi) south of Visakhapatnam Port.
- Kakinada Port is a large complex comprising Kakinada Anchorage Port, Kakinada Deep Water Port, Kakinada Fishing Harbour and Ship-Breaking Unit.
- Kakinada Deep Water Port is an all-weather deep water port, and the port can handle vessels up to 50,000 DWT