Source: Press Information Bureau
Ministry of Railways has directed all Railway units to enforce the ban on single-use plastic material, with less than 50-micron thickness from 2nd October 2019. Emphasis is on making necessary arrangements to minimize the generation of plastic waste and its eco- friendly disposal.
In this regard, the Ministry of Railways has issued a circular stating the following instructions are to be enforced: w.e.f. 02.10.2019:
- Ban on single-use plastic material
- All railway vendors to avoid the use of plastic carry bags
- Staff should reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and to use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
- IRCTC to implement the return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility.
- Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously.
Strict enforcement of these instructions is to be from 2nd October 2019, to give enough time to all concerned to prepare for “Plastic Free Railway”.
Ministry of Railways has also instructed its Railway units that a pledge can be administered on 2nd October 2019 to cut the use of plastics. Also, Information, Education & Communication (IEC) measures are to be adapted to create awareness among railway users.