In news– Recently, UGC issued a notification regarding the recognition of Bachelor degree program of minimum 5 years in Sowa Rigpa Medicine and Surgery (BSRMS).
- UGC recognized BSRMS as a new degree under Medicine & Surgery, Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathy and Health & Allied Sciences, Pharmacy, Paramedical and Nursing.
- The duration of the degree will be of minimum five years and Ten plus Two (10+2) is fixed as entry qualification.
- Until now, Central Institute of Buddhist Studies (CIBS) in Leh and Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (CIHTS) located in Sarnath, Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute, Dharamshala HP, Chakpori Medical Institute, Darjeeling (W.B.) were offering the degree in Sowa Rigpa medicine.
- With the UGC’s recognition of BSRMS, any University can offer a BSRMS degree.
About Sowa Rigpa medicine system-
- Sowa-Rigpa commonly known as Amchi system of medicine.
- It is one of the oldest, Living and well documented medical traditions of the world.
- It has been popularly practiced in Tibet, Magnolia, Bhutan, some parts of China, Nepal, Himalayan regions of India and few parts of former Soviet Union etc..
- In India, it has been popularly practiced in Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Darjeeling (West Bengal), Himachal Pradesh, Union Territory of Ladakh and now all over India.
- Some scholars believe that it originated from India; some say China and others consider it to have originated from Tibet itself.
- The majority of theory and practice of Sowa-Rigpa is similar to “Ayurveda”.
- It was recognized by the Government in 2011.
- It is based on the principle that bodies of all the living beings and non-living objects of the universe are composed of five Cosmo physical elements of Jung-wa-nga (Prithvi, Jal, Agni, Vayu and Akash).
- When the proportion of these elements is in an imbalance in our body, disorder results.
- The basic theory of Sowa-Rigpa may be adumbrated in terms of the following five points:
- The body in disease as the locus of treatment.
- Antidote, i.e., the treatment.
- The method of treatment through the antidote.
- Medicine that cures the disease.
- Materia Medica, Pharmacy & Pharmacology.