In news: The Ayush ministry has launched a massive nationwide campaign to distribute its proven poly herbal ayurvedic drug AYUSH 64 and Sidha medicine Kabasura Kudineer for the benefit of Covid patients in home isolation.
- It is recommended in National Clinical Management Protocol based on ayurveda and yoga which is vetted by National Task Force on Covid Management of ICMR and Guidelines for Ayurveda Practitioners for Covid-19 patients in home isolation.
- Kabasura Kudineer is included in Guidelines for Siddha Practitioners for Covid 19 issued by the ministry of Ayush.
- The Ministry of Ayush and CSIR collaboration recently completed the multi-centre clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of AYUSH 64 in the management of mild to moderate Covid-19 patients.
- The main collaborator in the campaign is Sewa Bharati.
- It is an Ayurvedic formulation which was developed by the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), the apex body for research in Ayurveda under the Ministry of Ayush, for management of Malaria.
- This drug was repurposed as the ingredients showed notable antiviral, immune-modulator and antipyretic properties.
- The formulation has also shown very promising results in Influenza like illness.
- It can be taken by patients at any stage of the COVID-19 disease.
- It has been identified as a potential adjunct to standard care in the management of asymptomatic, mild and moderate COVID-19 without risk factors and those not requiring emergency interventions or hospitalization.
- It is found to significantly reduce the duration for clinical recovery in terms of disease symptoms and severity.