- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), through its constituent laboratories namely CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal & Aromatic Plants (CSIR-CIMAP), Lucknow; and CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR-NBRI), Lucknow developed scientifically validated herbal product NBRMAP-DB as anti-diabetic formulation and the knowhow for the product was licensed to M/s AIMIL Pharma Ltd., Delhi who are manufacturing and marketing it as BGR-34, across the country.
- The formulation has shown therapeutic efficacy for treating newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes, as found in independent clinical trials conducted at Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi.
The scientists of NBRI and CIMAP joined hands in developing an effective, safe, patient-friendly solution towards the management of type 2 Diabetes mellitus. They had in-depth study of over 500 renowned ancient herbs and finally identified the 6 best herbs listed in Ayurvedic ancient texts for various ailments and indications namely Daruharidra ( Berberis aristata), Giloy ( Tinospora cordifolia), Vijaysar ( Pterocarpus marsupium), Gudmar ( Gymnema Sylvestre), Majeeth ( Rubia cordifoila) and Methika ( Trigonella foenum-graecum) to be combined in different fractions & quantity and processed meticulously to develop a marvelous anti-diabetic formulation.
The Central of Research in Ayurveda Sciences (CCRAS) and its activities related to Diabetes
CCRAS an autonomous body under the Ministry of AYUSH has been engaged in extending research-oriented Ayurveda based on integrative health care services for the management of Madhumeha which is Diabetes Mellitus. The following are the core activities;
- CCRAS in collaboration with Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has implemented and executed a programme viz. Integration of AYUSH (Ayurveda) component with NPCDCS(National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular diseases & Stroke ) programme in the identified districts of 3 states viz. Bhilwara (Rajasthan), Surendranagar (Gujarat) and Gaya (Bihar) to cater to health care services and to reduce the burden of NCDs including Diabetes by combining the strength of Ayurveda and Yoga.
- CCRAS had developed the AYUSH82 formulation for diabetes through the scientific process of drug development and commercialized through National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) for wider public utility.
- Generation of evidences on efficacy & safety of classical Ayurveda formulation on Diabetes Mellitus. CCRAS has done efficacy and safety on formulations viz. Nishamalki churna, Saptvinsti Gugullu, Yasad bhasm, Guduchi churna, Chandraprabha Vati, Haridra churna, and Gokshuradi Gugullu.
- CCRAS has published the documents viz. Protocol on Prevention and Management for Diabetes Mellitus and compendium on research articles on Diabetes Mellitus which are made available in the public domain for the benefit of practitioner’s, physician and researchers