In news– Indian Oil Corporation(IOC) has recently launched indigenous production of AVGAS 100 LL, a special aviation fuel meant for piston engine aircrafts and unmanned ariel vehicles.
AVGAS 100 LL-
- Under Prime Minister’s Atmanirbhar Bharat vision IOCL has come up with AV Gas 100 fuel which was imported so far at huge cost.
- Principal grade of Aviation Gasoline, AVGAS 100 LL is designed for use in turbo-charged reciprocating piston engines aircrafts, mainly used by FTOs and defence forces for training pilots.
- AV GAS 100 LL produced by IndianOil’s flagship refinery at Vadodara has been tested and certified by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), the statutory body of the Government of India to regulate civil aviation in India.
- It is a higher-octane Aviation fuel meeting the product specifications with superior performance quality standards, as compared to imported grades.
- At present AVGAS 100 LL is completely imported product.
- The domestic production of AVGAS 100 LL produced by Indian Oil at its Gujarat Refinery will make flying training more affordable in India.
- This product which fuels the aircraft operated by FTOs and Defense forces is being imported for decades by India.
- Indian Oil’s R&D, Refineries and Marketing teams have achieved this feat of indigenous production and have offered price advantage to the industry.
- India’s consumption of AVGAS 100 LL stands at around 3,000 kilo litre per year. IOCL has been importing this special aviation fuel. Now it will start producing it at its refinery in Gujarat.
- The indigenous availability of AV GAS 100 LL will help reduce dependence on imports and address the associated logistical challenges.