Source: PIB & AWEB’s website
Recently the Chief Election Commissioner, Shri Sunil Arora assumed Chairmanship of Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) for the term 2019-21 as India takes over the Chair from Romania. India was unanimously nominated to be the Vice-Chair of A-WEB at the last General Assembly held at Bucharest in 2017.
About the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB)
It was established in the year 2013 in South Korea. A-WEB is the largest association of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) worldwide.
To foster efficiency and effectiveness in conducting free, fair, transparent and participative elections worldwide
- To identify trends, challenges and developments in democratic electoral management and electoral processes
- To facilitate the approximate exchange of experience and expertise among members with the objective of strengthening electoral democracy
Presently it comprises of 115 members from 109 countries and 21 International Organisations as Associate Members
The 4th General Assembly of A-WEB
- The 4th General Assembly of A-WEB held at Bengaluru welcomed the Election Management Bodies(EMBs) from Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Bosnia, and Herzegovina, to the Executive Board.
- EMBs from Burkina Faso, Mauritius and Samoa have been admitted to the Oversight and Audit Committee.
- EMBs from Ukraine, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Political Parties Registration Commission of Sierra Leone, Indonesia and Mauritius joined the A-WEB family as Members and the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) as an Associate Member.
- The General Assembly also ratified the appointment of the new Vice Chairman of A-WEB – Mr. Glen Vuma Mashinini, Chairperson of Election Commission of South Africa