In news- The Association of Renewable Energy of States (AREAS) celebrated its 7th Foundation Day recently. AREAS Telephone Directory 2021 was also launched in digital form.
- Association of Renewable Energy Agencies (AREAS) came into existence in 2014 on the initiative of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- All State Nodal Agencies (SNAs) for renewable energy are members of AREAS.
- Union Minister for New & Renewable Energy is the Patron of the Association and Secretary, MNRE is the ex-officio President of the Association.
- SNAs interact and learn from each other’s experiences and also share their best practices and knowledge regarding technologies and schemes/ programmes.
Under AREAS the following three Standing Committees are constituted:
- Standing Committee on Technology and Resource Assessment
- Standing Committee on Policy and Finance
- Standing Committee on IT & IMS
The mission of the MNRE is to ensure:
- Energy Security: Development and deployment of alternative fuels like hydrogen, bio-fuels and synthetic fuels and their applications to contribute towards bridging the gap between domestic oil supply and demand; lesser dependency on oil imports.
- Increase in the share of clean power: Renewables like wind, hydro, solar, geothermal, bio & tidal power to supplement fossil fuel based electricity generation.
- Energy Availability and Access: Supplement energy needs of cooking, heating, motive power and captive generation in rural, urban,industrial and commercial sectors.
- Energy Affordability: Cost-competitive, convenient, safe, affordable and reliable energy supply options.
Energy Equity: Per-capita energy consumption at par with the global average level by 2050, through a sustainable and diverse fuel- mix.