interact and learn from each other’s experiences and also share their best practices and knowledge regarding technologies and schemes/ programmes. ssociation of Renewable Energy Agencies of the States (AREAS) has been formed on MNRE initiative to The AREAS got registered under Society Registration Act 1860 in 2014. Union Minister for New & Renewable Energy is the Patron of the Association and Secretary, MNRE is the ex-officio President of the Association. All SNAs( State Nodal Agencies) are members of the Association.
Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) is the nodal agency at the central level for promotion of grid-connected and off-grid renewable energy in the country. The Ministry’s programmes are implemented in close coordination with State Nodal Agencies (SNAs) for renewable energy (RE). Over the period the SNAs have developed considerable knowledge and experience in planning and implementation of RE programmes. In this background it is important that SNAs interact and learn from each other’s experiences and also share their best practices and knowledge regarding technologies and schemes/ programmes.
Under AREAS the following three Standing Committees are constituted:
- Standing Committee on Technology and Resource Assessment
- Standing Committee on Policy and Finance
- Standing Committee on IT & IMS
The mission of the MNRE is to ensure:
- Energy Security: Development and deployment of alternative fuels like hydrogen, bio-fuels and synthetic fuels and their applications to contribute towards bridging the gap between domestic oil supply and demand; lesser dependency on oil imports.
- Increase in the share of clean power: Renewables like wind, hydro, solar, geothermal, bio & tidal power to supplement fossil fuel based electricity generation.
- Energy Availability and Access: Supplement energy needs of cooking, heating, motive power and captive generation in rural, urban,industrial and commercial sectors.
- Energy Affordability: Cost-competitive, convenient, safe, affordable and reliable energy supply options.
- Energy Equity: Per-capita energy consumption at par with the global average level by 2050, through a sustainable and diverse fuel- mix.