In news– The state government of Assam approved the Electric Vehicle Policy of Assam, 2021, recently.
Key features of the new policy –
- It aims to introduce at least 200,000 electric vehicles (EVs) within the next five years through a set of incentives for buyers.
- The state government is planning to convert existing public transport and government vehicles to electric mode by 2030 as part of the new policy.
- As the first step towards implementing the policy, the state cabinet has approved procurement of 200 electric buses and 100 CNG-operated (compressed natural gas) buses for Guwahati.
- In order to encourage people to buy EVs, the state government will give a subsidy of Rs.20,000 on two-wheelers, Rs. 50,000 for three-wheelers and Rs.1.5 lakh for four-wheelers.
- There will be 100% exemption of registration fees, road tax and parking fees for EVs
- The policy also envisages charging stations for EVs across the state.
- Entrepreneurs setting up the stations will get a 90% discount on their electricity bills for the first five years.
- The new policy will provide subsidies on setting up factories, discounts on electricity bills, rebate on income tax etc for EV manufacturing companies interested in setting up their assembly line in Assam.
- The state will also offer incentives to manufacture EVs or EV components in addition to the 30 per cent capital investment subsidy available under the North East Industrial Development Scheme, 2017.
- The new policy envisages that by 2026, 25% of newly-registered vehicles will be EVs.
Extra reading- https://journalsofindia.com/fame-ii-scheme/