Why in news?
- MoEFCC has declared an area of 1km around the Asola Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary in Gurugram and Faridabad as Eco-sensitive zone.
- Asola-Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary coversSouthern Delhi Ridge of Aravalli hill range on Delhi-Haryana border and northern parts of Faridabad and Gurugram districts of Haryana state.
- It is the part of the Northern Aravalli leopard wildlife corridor that starts from the Sariska National Park in Rajasthan.
- The Asola wildlife sanctuary consists of around 200 species of resident and migratory birds.
Regulated Activities are:
- Hotels and resorts will not be allowed within 1 km of the boundary of the protected area or up to the extent of the Eco-Sensitive Zone, whichever is nearer.
- Construction: only “Small temporary structures” for eco-tourism activities.
- Small scale non-polluting industries
- Felling of trees
- Civic infrastructure
Banned Activities are:
- Stone quarrying
- Industrial and polluting industries
- Major hydroelectric projects
- Commercial mining
- Saw mills brick kilns
Allowed Activities are:
- Organic farming
- Cottage industries
- Rain water harvesting