In news– India’s Presidency of the prestigious Asia-pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development, AIBD has been extended for one more year.
- It was established in 1977 under the auspices of UNESCO.
- It is a unique regional inter-governmental organisation servicing countries of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) in the field of electronic media development.
- It is hosted by the Government of Malaysia and the secretariat is located in Kuala Lumpur.
- The AIBD currently has 26 Full Members (countries), represented by 43 organisations, and 50 Affiliate Members (organisations) with a total membership of 93 representing 46 countries and regions and over 50 partners in Asia, Pacific, Europe, Africa, Arab States and North America
- The AIBD General Conference (GC) and its Associated Meetings is the annual official gathering of the Institute.
- The General Conference is open to member countries, affiliates, partners, observers and leading broadcasters by invitation only.
- With respect to India, the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting holds the Full Membership of the AIBD. Prasar Bharati , being the public service broadcaster of India utilizes the various services of the AIBD.
- India has hosted the Governing Council Meetings (GC) in 1978, 1985, 2003 and has been honoured again to host the 47th Annual Gathering/ 20th AIBD General Conference and Associated Meetings 2022 in India from 19-21 September, 2022 in New Delhi.
- Currently, Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati and Director General of Doordarshan Mayank Kumar Agrawal is the President of AIBD.