Why in news?
In order to explore the use of artificial information technology for treating tuberculosis(TB), the Ministry of Health has signed an MoU with the Wadhwani Institute of Artificial Intelligence.
- The Revised National TB Control Program (RNTCP) is being revamped and aims to incorporate AI technology for fast tuberculosis fighting.
- RNTCP is the Government of India’s state-run tuberculosis (TB) treatment programme.
- Wadhwani AI would support the national tuberculosis program as part of the collaboration, helping it to become AI-ready and to develop, pilot and deploy AI-based solutions.
- It is developing new screening methods and diagnostic approaches as India plans to end tuberculosis by 2025.
- Tuberculosis Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease caused usually due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) bacteria.
- Tuberculosis though typically affects the lungs, it also affects other parts of the body.
- According to the World Health Office (WHO), India has almost 27 lakh cases of tuberculosis annually and 4.23 lakh people are killed (2016).