In news– Recently, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) placed an order with Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), Avadi, Chennai for supply of 118 Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) Arjun Mk-1A for the Indian Army.
About Arjun Mk-1A-
- The state–of-the-art MBT Mk-1A is a new variant of Arjun Tank designed to enhance fire power, mobility and survivability.
- Infused with 72 new features and more indigenous content from the Mk-1 variant, the tank would ensure effortless mobility in all terrains, besides precise target engagement during day and night with 360 degree coverage and works in both static & dynamic modes.
- The MBT Arjun Mk-1A has been designed & developed by Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), along with other laboratories of DRDO.
- It is equipped with accurate & superior firepower, all-terrain mobility and an invincible multi-layered protection provided by an array of advanced technology systems.
- This tank is particularly configured and designed for Indian conditions and hence it is suitable for deployment to protect the frontiers in an effective manner.
- It has a multi-layered robust protective armour named ‘Kanchan’.
- The additions, along with its robust 120 mm rifled gun, have contributed to its categorisation as the ‘hunter killer’.
- At the moment, the Arjun Mk-1A carries a total of 39 rounds of different types of ammunition.
- For the first time, this includes thermobaric shells designed as bunker-busters that can be used to target soldiers.
- The Prime Minister had handed over the MBT Arjun Mk-1A to the Chief of Army Staff in Chennai on February 14, 2021.
- It is a third generation main battle tank developed by the Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) of the DRDO, for the Indian Army.
- Its design work began in 1986 and was finished in 1996.
- The Arjun main battle tank entered service with the Indian Army in 2004.
- Work on the variant Mark-1A, or Mk-1A, began in June 2010 and the tank was fielded for trials in June 2012.