Why it is news?
- HUA launches ‘Angikaar campaign’, to bring PMAY(U) beneficiaries into Ujjawala, Ayushman Bharat fold
- Convergence would especially focus on Ujjwala for gas connection and Ayushman Bharat for health insurance to the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(U).
Ministry: The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)
With the Angikaar campaign, the MoHUA aims to provide eligible beneficiaries, not just with housing but also address their various pressing lifestyle challenges like – cleanliness, hygiene, and sanitation. By adopting the practices of the campaign, beneficiaries will learn the best methods to maintain their new homes and enjoy several amenities and essential civic services.
How does it work?
- The three-month campaign is done via several IEC (Information, Education, and Communication) activities at the city and ward level. The campaign is conducted across 2800 ULBs (urban local bodies), where 26 lakh houses have already been constructed under the PMAY – Urban (U).
Who benefits from the campaign?
- The beneficiaries of the Angikaar Campaign are home buyers who have purchased, or are in the process of their home construction, or plan to buy an affordable home under the PMAY-U.
What are the benefits of the Angikaar Campaign?
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – As part of the Angikaar Campaign, under the Ujjwala scheme, the beneficiaries of PMAY-U can shift to a smoke-free kitchen for better health. Under this scheme, eligible women can avail subsidised LPG connections, thereby freeing them from the drudgery of collecting firewood and cooking in an unhealthy, smoke-filled kitchen.
- Ayushman Bharat – Also known as the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), it’s a scheme that offers free healthcare facilities for eligible citizens at empanelled hospitals. As part of the Angikaar Campaign, PMAY-U beneficiaries will be enrolled for Ayushman Bharat, based on their eligibility.
- Swachh Bharat Mission – The Angikaar campaign also educates PMAY-U beneficiaries on waste segregation – wet wastes in green bins and dry waste in blue containers to help them keep their homes and communities clean.
- Water Conservation – Beneficiaries will also be taught how to harvest rainwater and conserve water by reusing it.
- Tree Plantation – The Angikaar campaign will also conduct several tree plantations drives both at the ward level as well as city level.
- Energy Conservation – Beneficiaries will be encouraged to switch to energy-efficient LED bulbs and other solar energy devices. Health and Hygiene – The campaign will create awareness about personal hygiene and the benefits of staying fit.
- Environment Protection – Beneficiaries will be educated on how to avoid single-use plastic while adopting the four Rs – Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.