Why in news?
An international conference Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat (ANGAN) was held in New Delhi.
About the conference:
- The conference focus was on “Energy Efficiency in the Building Sector”.
- It aims to provide a platform to deliberate on the interdependence between organizations, systemic sustainability and feedback loops for better resource efficiency.
- It also aims to improve the efficiency in high energy consumption sectors at a reasonable cost.
- It will also provide thrust to address the challenges faced by the stakeholders.
- It was organized by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power in collaboration with GIZ under the Indo German Technical Cooperation.
- Delegates from 16 countries participated in the conference.
- The conference discussed various alternative options and technologies in the field of design and construction of energy-efficient Commercial and Residential Buildings.
- It suggested effective ways of implementing the proposed suggestions and ideas through policies and programmes.
- The estimated investment for construction and building energy efficiency activities is Rs.2000 billion.
- The implementation of the proposal would save a cumulative savings of 388 billion units of electricity for the next ten years with a payback of about 2 years.
BEE (Bureau of energy efficiency), a statutory body under the Ministry of Power, launched the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) in 2007, to set energy efficiency standards for the design and construction of buildings, as a first step towards promoting energy efficiency in the building sector.