In news : Recently, the President of India witnessed a spectacular operational demonstration by Andaman and Nicobar Command at Swaraj Dweep
- Integral combat platforms and forces of the Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) demonstrated multi-dimensional operational capabilities of the Command, including an amphibious landing.
- The demonstration highlighted the synergy, cooperation and interoperability between the Services towards achieving desired outcomes.
- Naval GunFire Support (NGFS), Counter Surface Force Operations (CSFO), Search and Rescue (SAR) operations and vertical replenishment at sea were also demonstrated.
- The amphibious landing of Infantry troops on the beach was executed by Landing Ship Tank (Medium) and Landing Craft Utility
About Andaman and Nicobar Command(ANC)
- ANC is the first integrated(Tri-service) theatre command of the Indian Armed Forces in India with headquarters at Port Blair.
- It operates directly under the Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee(CoSC).
- It was created in 2001 to safeguard India’s strategic interests in Southeast Asia and the Strait of Malacca by increasing rapid deployment of military assets in the region.
- It provides logistical and administrative support to naval ships which are sent on deployment to East Asia and the Pacific Ocean
Strategic importance of ANC
- Control over vital global shipping route
- Control over critical shipping chokepoints
- QUAD force multiplier
- Historic and contemporary geostrategic soft and hard power
- Port-development led encirclement
- Protection of exclusive economic zone
Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee(CoSC),
- The Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee(CoSC), was the head of the Indian Armed Forces, roughly based on the British Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- The senior-most Chief of Staff was appointed to serve as a Chairman until he retired
- The last Chairman was the Chief of the Army Staff General Bipin Rawat.
- After its creation, Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) is the permanent chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC).
- Earlier, the chairmanship of the CoSC was held in rotation by the senior-most service chief for short periods and the arrangement was found to be unsatisfactory.